HPV Association of Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Cervix: The Indian Scenario

Presented in Emirates pathology, digital pathology Conference Holiday Inn Dubai, Al Barsha, UAE & Virtual
Speaker Name: Dr. Meenakshi Rao
Category: Poster Presentation
Keywords: Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Cervix, HPV

Dr. Meenakshi Rao has completed her M.D. in Pa-thology from Delhi University. She is currently working as an Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodh-pur, Rajasthan-342005. She has published more than 40 ab-stracts in different journals.
The abstract:
Neuroendocrine tumor (NET) is the most common tumors of the appendix which is usually found incidentally. Synchronous neuroendocrine tumor of the appendix and colonic carcinoma has been reported in previous case reports. The actual incidence of these synchronous tumors need to be determined by reviewing these case reports and the need to include appendectomy as part of oncological colorectal operations.
Cervical cancer is the fourth most frequent cancer in women globally and the second most common cancer in India. [1,2] The recent WHO 2020 classication of the tu-mours of the uterine cervix emphasizes that the cervical squa-mous cell carcinomas (SCC) should further be classified into Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) associated and HPV independ-ent due to prognostic implications. [1] Worldwide, >95-96% of the cervical SCCs of the cervix are HPV associated. However, there is a paucity of literature regarding the Indian scenario [3] This study aimed to determine the proportion of HPV inde-pendant and HPV associated SCCs of the cervix using p16 IHC on histopathologically diagnosed cases of cervical SCCs.
Out of the fifty cases included in the study, only three cases were HPV independent (03/50, 6%). The remaining 47 cases (94%) were HPV associated. All the HPV independent carci-nomas were seen in patients of age <70 years, and all were ke-ratinizing SCCs. Necrosis was not identified in the HPV inde-pendant carcinomas.

[1] WHO classification of female genital tumours, 5th ed; IARC. 2020; 336
[2] Cancer of the Cervix Uteri-Cancer Stat Facts. SEER 2020 HTTP:/
[3] Kulkarni S. S., Kulkarni S. S., Vastrad P. P., et al. Preva-lence and distribution of high risk human papillomavirus (HPV) types 16 and 18 in carcinoma of cervix, saliva of patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and in the general population in Karnataka, India. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Preven-tion. 2011;12(3):645–648.

Upcoming Conferences;

  1. 13th Emirates Pathology, Digital Pathology & Cancer Conference from December 15-17, 2023 in Holiday Inn Dubai, Al Barsha, UAE & Virtual.
    More Details:
  2. 11th World Digital Pathology & AI UCGCongress from December 15-17, 2023 in Holiday Inn Dubai, Al Barsha, UAE & Virtual.
    More Details:  
  3. 12th World Breast Pathology & Breast Cancer Conference from December 15-17, 2023 in Holiday Inn Dubai, Al Barsha, UAE & Virtual.
    More Details:

Related Articles

Back to top button